Friday 9 October 2009

The Relics of St Thérèse...

The Relics of St Thérèse have arrived at Aylesford Priory. We used to go there for Mass on our patronal Feast Day and for Corpus Christi when I was at school, and I enjoyed it there - well everything except the Mass itself of course. I have an excuse not to visit Aylesford tomorrow - I have to work - but I doubt I'd go even if I could. I am all for the reverence and veneration of Relics - it is a beautiful and intrinsic part of Catholic devotion - but I can only recall my experience of Cologne Cathedral four years ago when I went to World Youth Day. The Cathedral was so packed it vastly ruined any sense of awe or sacredness that one would have felt otherwise. My ideal experience would be to visit the Relics of the Saint in a dark and holy church at night, with only the light of votive candles to go by, and to spend about half an hour before them in silent prayer, alone. Unfortunately, at events such as these, one has to put up with people, and lots of them.

Those of you who have read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time, may recall that dream the boy often had...

4 comments:

  1. Yes, but all those other people would be putting up with you too!!! Go if you get a chance, it is well worth it. The crowd will be filled with joy.

    I saw her relics when they came to San Diego almost 10 years ago -- everyone was enthralled. I saw them in a large venue, then I was also privilged to be able to attend a Midnight Christmas Mass in a relatively small chapel with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, I shall be working this afternoon, but I think I shall pay a visit to Westminster Cathedral sometime late at night when they are there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do know what you mean about crowds and how they can detract from the solemnity of such occasions but we went to Aylesford on Friday when the relics arrived and, despite the crowds, it still managed to be a solemn and reverent occasion, largely thanks to excellent direction by the Friars.

    Funnily enough we visited Cologne just a while ago and I too found it hard to to ignore all the tourists inside the cathedral but once inside the Blessed Sacrament Chaple, it was like stepping into another world and I quite lost track of time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miss Ellen, when I was at Cologne Cathedral, the church was so packed that you could only move about three inches every so often and people were so close they were constantly touching me - most uncomfortable. Due to the slow procession in and out, though, I got to spend at least some time before the Relics of the Magi.

    ReplyDelete